Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Remembering Father Mathew Planthottam

By Monindro Ingudam

At the time when I was young playing 'kangdrum'( hockey) with my local friends, with sticks made of bamboo and balls made of bamboo roots with nothing on but a 'khudei naneibi', we have heard of this one father in P.T.C., who gave a new football to some children who had visited him. We marvel at the idea of visiting him and getting one for ourselves too. Times were different then and the prospect of getting a new football was most exciting. That was the first time I have heard about Fr. Mathew Planthottam .

Father Mathew Planthottam took up the main task of founding St. Joseph's School at Sangaiparou. Perhaps, a school exclusively for boys was deemed necessary at that time as the neighboring Little Flower School (which used to have male students upto IV th standard) wanted to altogether stop admitting boys. It was only in my V th standard after I have shifted from Little Flower School to St. Josephs School that I first met Fr. Mathew.

Father Mathew was strict in running his school. Years went by till we reached IX th. standard and the prospect of appearing the first board examination loomed over our head. Then came the Matriculation Examinations. Being the first batch of the school to appear for this examination, there was that that high expectations and pressure to perform from all sides. Father Mathew made special arrangements for extra classes and encouraged the students in many ways. At the end a total of 23 students appeared for the examinations and the result was an astounding 4 position holders (out of the first 10), 17 first divisions, 6 second divisions. St.Joseph's School became a name to reckon with. All thanks to Fr. Mathew, it was his sheer hardwork and dedication that has made St. Josephs School the way it is today.

I had met Fr.Mathew after all these years in September during my visit to Imphal this year. He had retired from active service owing to his age, and was staying in Mantripukri. I had gone there with my friend Nandakumar and we had taken dry fruits, biscuits and other items for him. He was so happy to see his students and we ended up spending a good two hours there talking. We spoke about the school, current scenario of the state, and of course his favorite topic of all, his students. We would give information on his students and what they are doing now. Many have become doctors, engineers, businessmen, govt.servants etc. At the end of the talk my only regret was that I didn't go there more often and I had promised myself to do that.

Fr. Mathew came from a land far away but had spent most of his life in Manipur. He understood the people and had served them well. He spoke more languages of the region than most people do and has done more good for the people of this state. In doing so he has become one of us, a true Manipuri. For this we thank Fr. Mathew deep from our heart. I request my friends to raise a toast to celebrate his life that was.

Thank you Father Mathew.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I thank Father Matthew for his kindness to his students and to the people of Manipur.Father Be happy all the time...Wherever you are whatever u do always be there a success....I wish my past school life with my frens,brothers and our beloved teachers.I wil never forget those happy and sad moments we had together.Long live! St.Joseph's School...Long live Josephites...! We the josephites the best from all over....

rajesh said...

Late Father Matthew Planthottam is one of my few extra-ordinary heroes. You have rightly pointed that 'students' was his primary topic. He is more Manipuri than I am, what more. My best regards and respect goes to all the sisters, brothers, ojas, miss', madams,... who have moulded us and made us what we are today.
Words are few to describe the goodness in all of you!

Unknown said...

It just clicked on my mind today how one of the premiere schools in Manipur that I studied, SJS, must be doing? I just wanted to have a glimpse. I started google-ing about it. And then, when I saw it here in this blog, I could not forget the face of a man who shaped our future - Father Mathew Planthottam. A true mentor, though a strict man, but compassionate in heart. For so many years, I had always wanted to know the well-being of this man. Being And now when I managed to find it, it's not good news. He has left us for the Heavenly abode. It's a shock to me. I thank him for all that he has done for us.

I am Manjit Ch, a 3rd batch (92) student.